Monday 23 January 2017


4.  Biology


Sunlight offers surprise benefit: It energizes infection fighting T cells




("Georgetown University Medical Center...")

SUMMARY:

Sunlight allows our bodies to make vitamin D, but a recent study has revealed another powerful benefit of getting sunlight. Georgetown University Medical Center researchers have found that sunlight, “through a mechanism separate than vitamin D production, energizes T cells that play a central role in human immunity”.
They specifically found that “low levels of blue light, found in sun rays,
makes T cells move faster -- marking the first reported human cell respond‐
ing to sunlight by speeding its pace”. T cells must move to do their job, which is to get to the site of an infection and orchestrate a response. This study shows that sunlight directly activates key immune cells by increasing their movement. T cells release hydrogen peroxide which increases T cell movement, white blood cells also release hydrogen peroxide when they sense an infection to “call” T cells to help battle the infection. This study revealed that sunlight releases hydrogen peroxide in T cells which are located in the skin.

DISCUSSION:
This topic can change, influence, and impact the choices I make in my life, because in science class this year, I learned about the positive and negative outcomes of getting sunlight. I quickly figured out that there are just as many if not more negative outcomes than positive outcomes of getting sunlight. Some include skin cancer, sunburn, sun poisoning, heat stroke, melanoma, and wrinkles/aged skin (Reilly). After reading this article I have found another reason to get sunlight, which is too energize infection fighting cells called T cells. In order to avoid one of the harmful outcomes of sunlight, I will stay exposed to the sunlight for small periods of time that are long enough to energize T cells. I get sick easily sometimes, perhaps because I have a weak immune system, which is why I will now start to get more sunlight to get my T cells moving and help my body produce vitamin D, as both of these help fight infections. This will help me enjoy my summer’s as I won't be stuck with a cold, which will make it a positive change I can make in my life.


Works Cited


Georgetown University Medical Center. "Sunlight offers surprise benefit: It energizes infection fighting T cells." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 20 December 2016. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161220094633.htm>.



Reilly, Dana. Positive And Negative Effects Of Sun Exposure. Odyssey, 28 June 2016, https://www.theodysseyonline.com/positive-and-negative-effects-of-sun-exposure. Accessed 2 Jan. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment